Burn permits are available free of charge. Please complete a permit and notify the fire department before conducting any burns.

Option 1: Stop by Station 1 and fill out the paperwork in person.

Option 2: Fill out the form below and drop it by the station when you're done. We'll fill out our half.

Barrel burn permits: Once issued, barrel burn permits are good for 1 year and are easily renewed. However, you MUST call the station each time you plan to burn!

ADEQ Burn Permit Form

Please read this section prior to completing the form. Permission to conduct open burning is granted by the Director of the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ) subject to the following conditions:

You are not to burn the following types of materials: All plastic materials, waste petroleum products, poison oak/ivy/sumac, oleander, asbestos, polyester, thermal insulation, tires, electrical wire insulation, batteries, aerosol spray cans, hazardous material containers or waste products, tar paper, flammable liquids, antifreeze, explosives, ammunition, or asphalt shingles. You can only burn between an hour after sunrise and two hours before sunset.  Your burn pile/pit/barrel must be at least 50 ft from any structure. You may start your burn using matches, flares, or hand-held torches fueled by LPG such as propane or butane. You may not start your fire with items that cause black smoke, such as tires, tar paper, oil, gasoline, or diesel.

To reduce emissions, be sure to minimize material to be burned, allow the material to dry before burning, minimize soil content in slash piles, extinguish smoldering burns, and burn before litter falls or prior to precipitation. You must notify the local fire department prior to each open burning; you may be prohibited from open burning during periods of smoke dispersion, excessive visibility impairment, or extreme fire danger. Other factors that may prohibit burning include NWS air stagnation advisories, air pollution emergencies, adverse wind conditions, public nuisance concerns, or safety risks.

You must be present at all times during open burning until the fire is completely extinguished. You must have access to fire control materials if needed to put out the fire.  Permits do not relieve you from liability from resulting damages or obligation to comply with other applicable laws/regulations/ordinances.  It is unlawful for any person, without lawful authority, to intentionally, knowingly, recklessly or with criminal negligence to set or cause to be set on fire any wildland other than the person's own or to permit a fire that was set or caused to be set by the person to pass from the person's own grounds to the grounds of another person.

Why do I have to call the station before I burn?

One reason is this--do you really want us to come flying up in an engine with lights and sirens because one of your neighbors calls in smoke at your house, when it's really just you burning? We also are required to report burning activities every year to the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality--and keeping good reports lets us keep issuing burn permits to you. So please, as a courtesy to the community, just give us a call so we know to expect the smoke.



"To save lives and protect the property of all residents and visitors to the Crown King area, whenever and wherever the need arises."

Copyright © Crown King Fire District. All rights reserved.

Burn Permits